Dr Margarita Cruz
Margarita Cruz, PhD, is an Assistant Professor of Strategic Management and Entrepreneurship at EHL. She teaches organizational theory, entrepreneurship and strategic management courses. Her research focuses on the intersection between organizational theory and entrepreneurship, with a particular focus on the role of authenticity on entrepreneurial outcomes including the founding of new organizations and introduction of new products. Before joining academia, Margarita gained experience as business engineer in the banking and chemical industries. During her doctoral studies, she was a visiting PhD student at Robert H. Smith Business School, University of Maryland (2015-2016), thanks to a competitive fellowship grant for promising candidates granted by the Swiss National Science Foundation. In her research, Margarita is passionate about breweries, restaurants, and luxury hotels. In the classroom, she likes to integrate state-of-the-art trends and practices from the entrepreneurial and strategic scene in the hospitality and F&B industries.
Dr Margarita Cruz
- Organizational Theory
- Swiss National Science Foundation. Project title: "A behavioral perspective on organizational deviations from prototypical identities". Start/End: 01.10.2015 - 31.03.2016. Amount: 24.000CHF.
- Cruz, M., Beck, N., & Wezel, F. C. (2017). Grown Local: Community Attachment and Market Entries in the Franconian Beer Industry. Organization Studies, 0170840617695357. Forthcoming
- Cruz, M. (2017). Building on the past to create the future: family-advantage and naming strategies in NP introduction. In Academy of Management Proceedings (Vol. 2017, No. 1, p. 11214). Academy of Management.
- Cruz, M. & Schmitt, A. (2017). The way forward in Zermatt: renewal challenges for Swiss Hotel Operators. The Case Center Collection.
- Cruz, M. (2017). That touch of hospitality: Client-centric insights for Swiss private banking. Hospitality Net, June 2017.
- Cruz, M. (2017). What do Swiss hospitality and private banking have in common? eHotelier, June 2017.
- Cruz, M. & Rosenkranz, N. (2017). Business Model Innovation: Beyond the traditional way of innovating in the hospitality industry. Hospitality Net, August 2017.
- Cruz, M. (2017). We love local! How entrepreneurs should approach regional F&B markets. Hospitality Insights, Forthcoming.
- Cruz Barrientos, M. (2016). The role of authenticity constraints and geographical communities on entrepreneurship (Doctoral dissertation, Università della Svizzera italiana).
- Cruz, M., & Montauti, M. (2016). Institutional maintenance and the proliferation of hybrid lighthouses, 1950-2014. In Academy of Management Proceedings (Vol. 2016, No. 1, p. 12539). Academy of Management.
- Cruz, M., & Beck, N. (2015). Beyond Audience Expectations: Limits to Authenticity in the Franconian Microbrewery Industry. In Academy of Management Proceedings (Vol. 2015, No. 1, p. 18466). Academy of Management.
- Cruz, M., & Beck, N. (2013). When newcomers cannot break with authenticity: identity implications in the Franconian beer industry. In Academy of Management Proceedings (Vol. 2013, No. 1, p. 14263). Academy of Management.
- Barry Richmond Award (best paper with applications in the social sciences). International Conference of the System Dynamics Society, Boston