Peter Varga, PhD, is an Assistant Professor at the Ecole Hôtelière de Lausanne, University of Applied Sciences, in Switzerland. His research interests center on sustainable sociocultural dynamics of current tourism practices in host societies; cultural intelligence in intercultural service encounters; and symbolism in food and eating habits from a cultural perspective. He earned a Doctor in Social Sciences, Specialisation in Anthropology of Tourism, from the University of Guadalajara and Master of Arts in Sociology with an emphasis in Economy and Society, from the Central European University and University of Lancaster. He lives in the Geneva area with his wife and his two children.
Dr Peter Varga
- Sustainable Hospitality Culture in destination management
- Cultural Intelligence in intercultural service encounters
- Tourism development and sociocultural sustainability
- Anthropology and tourism; impacts and benefits, host and guests relationships
- Symbolism in food and eating habits form a sociocultural perspective
- Cultural Intelligence - to improve hospitality expatriates’ professional efficiency in China
- Teaching culturally intelligently – to understand suitable pedagogical methods cross-culturally
- Academic paper reviewer for: - International Journal of Cross-cultural Management - Council of Australasian Tourism and Hospitality Education - International Conference on Hospitality & Leisure Applied Research - EuroCHRIE - BEST EN Think Tank - Routledge (Francis & Francis Group)
- Worwag, S. S. and Varga, Peter (2017). Tourists' animal welfare considerations elephant tourism in Thailand [online]. In: Lee, Craig (Editor); Filep, Sebastian (Editor); Albrecht, Julia N (Editor); Coetzee, Willem JL (Editor). CAUTHE 2017: Time For Big Ideas? Re-thinking The Field For Tomorrow. Dunedin, New Zealand: Department of Tourism, University of Otago, 2017: 419-428.
- Haslebacher, C., Varga, P., & Murphy, H. C. (2016).Examining the motivations of volunteer tourists: Insights from images posted on social media [online]. In: Scerri, Madalyn (Editor); Hui, Lee Ker (Editor). CAUTHE 2016: The Changing Landscape of Tourism and Hospitality: The Impact of Emerging Markets and Emerging Destinations. Sydney: Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School, 2016: 217-230.
- Losa, S. & Varga, P. (2016) Interactional Negotiation of Linguistic Heterogeneity: Accommodation Practices in Intercultural Hotel Service Encounters. In Lüdi, G., Höchle Meier, K., and Yanaprasart, K. (Eds.), Managing Plurilingual and Intercultural Practices in the Workplace: The case of multilingual Switzerland (pp.85-100). John Benjamins Book Publishing Company
- Binder, A. and Varga, P. (2015) Sociocultural Hurdles of Sustainable Hospitality Management. Asia-Pacific Journal of Innovation in Hospitality and Tourism. Vol. 4 (1), pp. 77-92.
- Varga, P. (2015) Spirituality, Social identity and Sustainability. In Sloan et al. (Eds.), The Routledge Handbook of Sustainable Food and Gastronomy (pp. 21-28). Abingdon: Taylor and Francis Ltd.
- Frommenwiler, S. and Varga, P. (2015) A modified value chain analysis of tourism development in the Inlay Lake region, Myanmar. In R. Hay (ed.) Conference Proceedings of BEST EN Think Tank XV. Townsville, Australia: James Cook University, 101-112.
- Varga, P., and Losa, A. S. (2011) Enseigner la sociologie à l’Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne (HES-EHL). Au-delà de l’Université. La sociologie face à la diversité de ses publics. Société Suisse de Sociologie. Bulletin, Novembre 2011
- Varga, P. (2007) Ecotourismo y Sociedades Amazónicas; Estudio de antropología de turismo; El caso de los Siona, Ecuador. Abya Yala Editions, Quito, Ecuador ISBN: 978-9978-22-685-8
- Losa, S. and Varga, P. Interactional Negotiation of Linguistic Heterogeneity: Accommodation Practices in Intercultural service Encounters. Paper presented and published in the Book of Abstract at ALAPP, 4th International Conference Applied Linguistics and Professional Practice, 10-12 September, 2014, Geneva, Switzerland
- Varga, P. Does eco certification lead to sustainable tourism? Paper presented and published in the Book of Abstract at the International Conference on Tourism, (ICOT 2014), 25-28 June 2014, Dalian, China
- Varga, P. and Losa, A. S. Cultural stereotypes as work tools in the luxury setting? Investigating interactional practices in intercultural hotel front-desk encounters. Paper presented and published in Conference Proceedings at the International Association for Languages and Intercultural Communication (IALIC), 29 November-1 December, 2013, Hong Kong, China
- Varga, P. (2013). Striving for environmental sustainability through tourism. On-line teaching module. INNOTOUR a WEB 2.0 platform for education, research and business development in tourism.
- Varga, P. and Losa, A. S. Investigating Front Desk Intercultural Communication: Some Methodological Considerations on Interactional Practices. Paper presented at I-CHLAR, International Conference on Hospitality and Leisure Applied Research, 4-5 July 2013, Lausanne, Switzerland
- Varga, P. and Losa, A.S. Cultural Competency or Stereotypification? Paper presented and published in Conference Proceedings at QUIS13 - The 13th International Research Symposium on Service Excellence in Management, 10-13 June, 2013, Karlstad, Sweden
- Varga, P. Environmental Sustainability and Socioeconomic Exclusion in Ecotourism. Paper presented and published in Conference Proceedings at BEST Education Network Think Tank XIII: Engaging Communities in Sustainable Tourism Development, Taylor’s University, 23-26 June 2013, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Research Grant obtained: 2014 - HES-SO Fund (100 000 CHF) on Intercultural Competences in the Hospitality Industry
- Outstanding Paper Award Runner-Up: Frommenwiler, S. and Varga, P. (2015) A modified value chain analysis of tourism development in the Inlay Lake region, Myanmar. In R. Hay (ed.) Conference Proceedings of BEST EN Think Tank XV. Townsville, Australia: James Cook University, 101-112. In Best en Think Tank XV. 17-12 June, 2015, Kruger Park, South Africa