Dr Achim Schmitt
Achim Schmitt, PhD, is an Associate Professor at EHL and a Visiting Professor at the University of Geneva as well as an Associated Researcher at the University of St. Gallen in Switzerland. Before joining the academic world, Achim was a strategy consultant for 4 years in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. He gained academic experience at Audencia Business School in Nantes (France), Columbia Business School (USA), HEC University of Geneva (Switzerland), and the Universidad de Los Andes in Bogota (Colombia). In addition to his PhD, Achim obtained his Habilitation at the University of Paris-Dauphine in France. Achim’s research focuses on organizational theory and strategic management, with an interest in organizational ambidexterity, organizational decline, corporate turnarounds and strategic renewal. His articles and papers have been published in diverse outlets including the International Journal of Management Research, Journal of Management Studies, Long Range Planning, and Management Learning. He currently serves on the scientific board of the International Association of Strategic Management (France) and the Editorial Board at Long Range Planning.
Dr Achim Schmitt
- Corporate strategy
- Strategic Management
- Strategic renewal
- Corporate turnaround
- Organizational decline
- HES-SO Research grant (2017): A behavioral process perspective on hotel corporation’s investment decisions. Research partners: Dr. Johannes Luger (University of St. Gallen, CH) and Dr. Sebastian Raisch (University of Geneva, CH)
- South-Korean Resarch Grant (2016): Ethical and strategic considerations of gambline behavior. Research partners: Dr. Ki-Joon Back (University of Houston, USA); Dr. Lee Choong-Ki (Kyung Hee University, South-Korea).
- Schmitt, A.; Raisch, S.; Volberda, H.W. (forthcoming): Strategic renewal: Past research, theoretical tensions and future challenges. International Journal of Management Reviews.
- Barker, V.; Schmitt, A. (2017): Firm turnarounds in knowledge intensive industries. In J. Adriaanse and J.-P. van der Rest (Eds.), Turnaround Management and Bankruptcy: A research companion: 327- 345. Routledge/Taylor & Francis: New York.
- Josserand, E.; Schmitt, A.; Borzillo, S. (2017): Balancing present needs and future options: How employees leverage social networks with clients. Journal of Business Strategy, 38(1): 14-21.
- Schmitt, A.; Barker, V.; Raisch, S.; Whetten, D. (2016): Strategic renewal in times of environmental scarcity. Long Range Planning, 49(3): 361-376.*
- Marmenout, K.; Schmitt, A. (2016): Organisational Change and Human Resource Management. In J. Crawshaw, P. Budhwar, A. Davis (Eds.), Strategic Human Resource Management: Challenges and Practice, 2nd edition. SAGE: Oxford.
- Schmitt, A.; Klarner, P. (2015): From snapshot to continuity: A dynamic model of organizational adaptation to environmental changes, Scandinavian Journal of Management, 31(1): 3-13.
- Schmitt, A.; Raisch, S. (2015): Wie Experten die Krise meistern. Harvard Business Manager Magazine, (2): 10-12.
- Schmitt, A.; Raisch, S. (2013): Corporate turnarounds: The duality of retrenchment and recovery, Journal of Management Studies, (50)7: 1216-1244.