Dr Philippe Masset
Philippe Masset, PhD, is an Assistant Professor at EHL where he teaches courses in finance. His research areas are empirical finance, alternative investments, wine economics, hospitality financial management and hotel real-estate investments. He has been a visiting professor at the University of Bordeaux and he is member of several academic associations including the American Association of Wine Economists (AAWE) and Bordeaux Wine Economics (BWE). He is also a founding member of the Alliance for Research on Wine & Hospitality Management. He has published several papers in international journals such as Emerging Market Review, European Financial Management, Journal of Alternative Investments, and in the Handbook of Financial Econometrics and Statistics and got substantial coverage in the media (e.g., Bloomberg, Reuters, Radio Télévision Suisse, Bilan, The Times, The Daily Telegraph, China Daily, La Repubblica). He has taught courses in finance (Financial Management, Corporate Finance, Investments, Real-Estate Finance, Risk Management, Wine Economics & Finance) at several academic institutions.
Dr Philippe Masset
- Empirical finance
- Alternative investments
- Wine economics
- Hospitality financial management
- Analysis of the performance of alternative assets (private equity and collectibles) Swiss fine wines: market organization, price determinants, impact of climate change, and outlook
- Nowcasting and forecasting using Google Trends
- Primary markets: initial mispricing and subsequent price adjustments
- The notion of perfection and its impact on the prices of experience goods Family ownership and financial performance in the hospitality industry
- The asset-light construct in the hospitality industry
- Hotel real-estate investments
- Masset, P. & Weisskopf, J.-P., (2018). Wine indices in practice: nicely labeled but slightly corked, Economic Modelling, 68, pp.555-569.
- Masset, P., Weisskopf, J.-P., Faye, B. & Le Fur, E., (2016). Red obsession: the ascent of red wine in China, Emerging Markets Review, 29, pp.200-225.
- Masset, P. & Weisskopf, J.-P., (2016). A study of the performance of fine wine on the Swiss market, International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, 26(4), pp.566-582.
- Masset, P. & Weisskopf, J.-P., (2015). Wine funds - an alternative turning sour?, Journal of Alternative Investments, 17(4), pp. 6-20.
- Masset, P., Weisskopf, J.-P. & Cossutta, M., (2015). Wine tasters, ratings and en primeur prices, Journal of Wine Economics, 10 (1), pp. 75-107.
- Masset, P. & Wallmeier, M., (2010). A high-frequency investigation of the interaction between volatility and DAX returns, European Financial Management, 16 (3), pp. 327–344.
- Masset, P. & Henderson, C., (2010). Wine as an asset class, Journal of Wine Economics, 5 (1), pp. 87-118.
- Masset, P. & Weisskopf, J.-P. (forthcoming). Raise your glass: Wine investment and the financial crisis. In: O. Ashenfelter et al. (Eds.) Handbook of the Economics of Wine.
- Masset, P. & Henderson, C. (forthcoming). Wine as an asset class. In: O. Ashenfelter et al. (Eds.) Handbook of the Economics of Wine.
- Masset, P. & Weisskopf, J.-P. (forthcoming). Producing and consuming locally: Switzerland as a local market. In: A. Alonso Ugaglia et al. (Eds.) The wine industry worldwide: toward a unique model of organization?
- Masset, P. (2015). Analysis of Financial Time-Series using Wavelet Methods. In: C.-F. Lee & J. C. Lee (Eds.) Handbook of Financial Econometrics and Statistics Masset, P. & Weisskopf, J.-P. (2013). Wine as an alternative asset class. In: M.-C. Pichery & E. Giraud-Héraud (Eds.) Wine Economics: Quantitative Studies and Empirical Applications. Basingstoke, England: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Award for the best paper at the Annual Meeting of the European Association of Wine Economics (University of Angers, 2011, and University of Brno, 2015)
- Best conference presentation at the annual meeting of the AAWE (Princeton University, 2012)
- Vigener Prize for the best Ph.D. dissertation at the Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences (University of Fribourg, 2012)