Dr Demian Hodari
Dr. Demian Hodari, PhD, is an Associate Professor of Strategic Management. He was previously a hotel general manager and the president of an independent hotel management and consulting company, and he has worked on four continents. In addition to teaching undergraduate and graduate level classes, Demian frequently provides consulting, executive education and strategic planning facilitation for international hotel companies, hotel owners, and individual properties. He currently sits on the board of directors of several hotel companies. Demian regularly speaks at industry events and his research is published in the leading hospitality management journals. He has raised nearly 200,000 Swiss Francs in research funding from the private and public sectors. He holds a PhD from the University of Surrey, a Master’s from Cornell University, and a B.A. from Georgetown University.
Dr Demian Hodari
- Developing executives' strategic practices: : A longitudinal study of 600 hotel executives across 30 countries.
- The relative influence of hotel owners, asset managers, and general managers, on a hotel's strategic and financial performance.
- Hodari, D., Balla, P. and Aroul, R. (2017). The Matter of Encumbrance: How Management Structure Affects Hotel Value. Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, 58(3), 293-311
- Turner, M., Way, S., Hodari, D. and Witteman, W. (2017). Hotel Property Performance: The Role of Strategic Management Accounting. International Journal of Hospitality Management. Vol 63 (5), pp. 33-43
- Hodari, D., Turner, M. and Sturman, M. (2017). How hotel owner-operator goal congruence and GM autonomy influence hotel performance. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 61 (2), 119-128.
- Turner, M., Hodari, D. & Blal, I. (2016). Hotel Management Agreements in Ivanov, S. & Magnini, V. (Eds.). The Routledge Handbook of Hotel Chain Management. Routledge
- Hodari, D. Turner, M. and Sturman, M. (2016, October). Hotel Performance: The Impacts of Owner-Operator Goal Alignment and GM Autonomy. Presented at EuroCHRIE, Budapest, Hungary
- Roper, A and Hodari, D. (2015). Strategy Tools: Contextual Factors Impacting Use and Usefulness. Tourism Management, 51 (December), 1-12.
- Hodari, D. and Samson, D. (2014). Settling for Less: The Institutionalization of the Hotel Feasibility Study, Journal of Hospitality Financial Management, 24 (2), 97-110
- Hodari, D. and Sturman, M. (2014). Who’s in Charge Now? The Decision Autonomy of Hotel General Managers, Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, 55(4), 433-447
- Hodari, D., Waldthausen, V. and Sturman, M. (2014) Outsourcing and Role Stress: An Empirical Study of Hotel Spa Managers. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 37 (2), 190-199
- Hodari, D., Sturman, M. & Alshawi, S. (2014, October). Corporate Sustainability in the European Hotel Industry: Towards a Strategic Orientation. Presented at EuroCHRIE, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Hodari, D. and Hobden, W. (2012, October). The Decision Autonomy of Hotel General Managers. Presented at EuroCHRIE, Lausanne, Switzerland
- Waldthausen, V. & Hodari, D. (2012, October). Outsourcing and Role Stress: An Empirical Study of Hotel Spa Managers. Presented at EuroCHRIE, Lausanne, Switzerland
- Hodari, D., & Samson, D. (2011, October). The Role and Use of Feasibility Studies in the Hotel Development Process. Presented at EuroCHRIE, Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- Hodari, D., & Roper, A. (2010, July). The Rejection of Strategy Tools. Presented at the EGOS Colloquium, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Hodari, D., & Roper, A. (2009, October). Contextual influences on the role of strategy tools within an international hotel firm. Presented at EuroCHRIE, Helsinki, Finland.
- Freitag, J., Grimes, J., Hodari, D., Jaeger, T., Tabacchi, M., & Zhou, L. (2009, May). Spa influence on ADR, RevPAR, and Occupancy. Presented at the Global Spa Summit, Interlaken, Switzerland
- EHL Researcher of the Year (2014)
- Emerald/EMFD Outstanding Doctoral Research Award (2010)